Sign up for our newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter and keep up-to-date with parenting policy, good practice, research and events
Smacking ban needs to coincide with increase in family support services
There are a multitude of reasons families feel under pressure, from financial worries to isolation, lack of support and long working hours. Removal of the defence of 'justifiable assault' will not make these pressures any less but it may persuade parents to think of other ways of disciplining their children.
For further information read Clare Simpson, Project Manager, Parenting across Scotland blog making the case for children having the same protection from assault as adults.
- End Child Poverty coalition in Scotland call on First Minister to provide additional help for families
- 3.6 million children under 16 are living in poverty
- Time for Parents
- Scottish families in debt as they try to keep up with school meal payments
- Next steps on the UNCRC (Incorporation) (Scotland) Bill
- Foodbanks struggling with increased demand
- One Parent Families Scotland call for a full review of the Child Maintenance System
- Nearly half of people referred to food banks are in debt to the government
- Almost half of parents find it harder to pay for essentials
- Will the new Online Safety Bill work for children?