Households

Number of households

In mid-2015, there were 2.43 million households in Scotland, which is an increase of around 160,000 over the past ten years.

National Records of Scotland (August 2016) The Registrar General’s Annual Review of Demographic Trends 2015 [accessed February 2017]


Increase in households

The number of households has increased faster than the population over the last ten years and is projected to increase to 2.78 million by 2037, an average annual increase of around 16,000 households. This increase is the result of an ageing population, and more people living alone or in smaller households, as well as an increasing population. The largest increases are found in the number of households where someone lives alone, particularly amongst older people. In contrast, the number of larger households is projected to fall.

National Records of Scotland (August 2016) The Registrar General’s Annual Review of Demographic Trends 2015 [accessed February 2017]


Families

There were 1.5 million families living in households in 2011.

Census 2011: Detailed characteristics on Population and Households in Scotland - Release 3E  [accessed February 2017]


Family make-up

Of these, 65% (967,000) were married couple families, 16% (237,000) were cohabiting couple families and 19% (291,000) were lone parent families.

Census 2011: Detailed characteristics on Population and Households in Scotland - Release 3E [accessed February 2017]


Households with dependent children

In 2011, 614,000 families had dependent children.

Census 2011: Detailed characteristics on Population and Households in Scotland - Release 3E  [accessed February 2017] 


Married and cohabiting families

In 2011, of the 614,000 families with dependent children, 54% (333,000) were married couple families; 15% (91,000) were cohabiting couple families; and 31% (190,000) were lone parent families.

Census 2011: Detailed characteristics on Population and Households in Scotland - Release 3E  [accessed February 2017]


Lone parents

In 2011, there were over 190,000 lone parents with children (almost one in three families).

Census 2011: Detailed characteristics on Population and Households in Scotland - Release 3E  [accessed February 2017]


Young adults living arrangements

In 2011, compared to 2001, young adults were less likely to be living alone or with a partner, with an increase in the proportion living with their parents.

Office for National Statistics, 2016. Families and Households in the UK, 2016 [accessed February 2017]


Gender of lone parent households

In the UK as a whole in 2016, the majority (86%) of lone-parent households were headed by a female lone parent, and the remaining 14% were headed by a male lone parent. These percentages have changed little over the 20 years since 1996. This could be associated with women being more likely to take the main caring responsibilities for any children when a relationship breaks down, thus becoming lone parents.

Office for National Statistics, 2016. Families and Households in the UK, 2016 [accessed February 2017]


Lone parents marital status

There are differences in the marital status of male and female lone parents with dependent children; 35% of male lone parents have never been married, compared with 52% of female lone parents. 7% of male lone parents with dependent children are widowed, more than double the percentage of female lone parents.

ONS (2012) Lone parents with dependent children 2001 to 2011 [accessed February 2017]


Step-families

In 2011, Of families with dependent children, step-families made up 8% (26,000) of married couple families and 29% (26,000) of cohabiting couple families. For married couple families, step-families made up 8% of families with one dependent child, 6% of families with two dependent children and 12% of families with three or more dependent children. For cohabiting couple families, step-families made up 24% of families with one dependent child, 31% of families with two dependent children and 46% of families with three or more dependent children. Step-families accounted for just over half (54%) of the 15,000 cohabiting couple families where the youngest dependent child was aged 12 or over.

Census 2011: Detailed characteristics on Population and Households in Scotland - Release 3E [accessed February 2017]


Decrease in households with dependent children

The proportion of households with dependent children decreased from 28% in 2001 to 26% in 2011. In the same period, family households were increasingly likely to have only one dependent child.

Census 2011: Detailed characteristics on Population and Households in Scotland - Release 3E  [accessed February 2017]